Sunday, August 3, 2014

Cooking - Chili

I love cooking, but since baby girl was born it's been a challenge to find the time for some of my more complex recipes. Since then, I've been searching through the web for different simple, quick meal ideas; the best way to make cooking easy in my busy life!

We've had some great summer thunderstorms lately, and the cool rainy weather made me crave chili! I started looking through my collection of recipes for chili, and was disappointed by the ones I came across. Some were too basic, some were processed foods, and others were too spicy. So I decided to combine ingredients from a few different recipes until I basically came up with an ingredient list that I found simple and delicious.

The best part was, this recipe turned out to be utterly scrumptious, and I was so pleased I wanted to give myself a pat on the back. I'm normally the kind of cook who sticks pretty strictly to a recipe and doesn't vary much from the directions, other than omitting certain ingredients. To take the risk of mixing multiple recipes is so not me ... but turned out to be a risk well worth it!

We loved this easy, quick chili. It was the perfect meal to enjoy with the smell of rain and thunder roaring outside. Add some corn bread, and this is one amazing meal!

















Chili Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbs olive oil
2 lbs ground beef
1 white onion, chopped
2 Tbs garlic, minced
28 oz tomato sauce
1-1/2 Tbs tomato paste
1/2 C water
1 can chili beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp brown sugar
shredded cheddar cheese, optional
sour cream, optional

DIRECTIONS:

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add beef and season with garlic salt and pepper, to taste. Once browned, drain most of grease. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, beans and seasonings. Mix thoroughly. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until heated through.

Serve hot, with cheese and sour cream if desired. Enjoy!


No comments: